Sunday, November 2, 2008

Autumn Fun!

This will be the first of a few posts about how much I love fall time! I love the colors, the chill in the air, the pumpkins and gourds, and harvest time. Harvest is kind of a big deal around here. Ever since I can remember, my Mom drove truck for my uncles during sugar beet harvest and those of us who were not old enough to be in school got to go with her and ride in the beet truck all day. It sounds boring to most people but boy was it fun when I was little! My cousins and I would take turns riding in all the trucks and climbing on the beet digger to watch all the beets come out of the ground and get carried up into the truck. I loved riding to the beet dump with my Mom because she always had treats :) To this day the smell of freshly dug earth reminds me of those fun and chilly days in the fields.
I wanted Ellie to see what it was like to be a part of the harvest so my Mom invited us out to ride with her a few times during harvest this year. Ellie and I had lots of fun!

My uncle gave us a ride in the tractor


Ellie and my Mom helping Uncle Brent fix the digger


Elliett checking out the sugar beets



I realize I risk sounding like a total hick talking about harvest and tractors and trucks but it's a part of who I am and I've always loved that I'm from a farming community.


4 comments:

cornter said...

From the one summer I spent with your family I would definitely never have you qualify for hicks, your family is refined and fab, and if I were you I too would be so proud of where I came from. I miss it and I was only a fraction a part of it. That summer is etched in gold in my heart and will always be...hotdogs in the rain with black trash bags as ponchos...hicks? no. fun? YES!!!

Bri!!! said...

YAY!!!! I'm so excited you are now posting! I love your hick side, and no I would never think you were a hick until you explained "harvest time". I love that about you.

Ellie is so dang cute, and I LOVE her name. You look great too. I loved seeing the address you chose. Brought back memories for sure.

Much love,

Bri

The Ostheds said...

Welcome to the blogging world! It is so fun! Ellie is so cute! I love how she called the sugar beet a carrot! I am sure Grandma had fun with you two along for the ride!

Sterzers said...

I can't believe how big ellie is getting! She is so stinkin cute!!! I love her hair. I'm glad that you have a blog so we can see what you guys are up to! Our blog is bksterz.blogspot.com