Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thrift Store Finds

Ever since I did my ottoman project last winter, I've been on the lookout for other cool things I could make into even cooler things. My trips to the thrift stores have been few and far between since Piper came along but these are the goodies I found shortly before I had her. I was wanting to create an office/sewing space in a little nook in Rob's parent's basement where we are living. I already had the desk which was a birthday present from Rob about 6 years ago (thanks Pal!) but I needed a small filing cabinet and some containers for my stuff. I wish I had taken before and after pictures of everything I found but I'll know better next time.


This little bench isn't part of my little nook but I love love love it and I miss it so bad because it's in storage right now not getting any love or attention. I found it at DI for $5 and it was covered with forest green wildlife fabric. Ick. I have a major thing for orange and this was the perfect fabric for it!


This little filing cabinet was inspired by this one I saw on one of my favorite blogs. I saw hers and was on the hunt ever since for one similar. This was $5 at DI and was the usual office gray and covered in rust. Some sandpaper, primer, and spray paint and I'm in love!




I almost had to fight a lady for these at the thrift store :) She was nice enough to let me have them mostly because she thought Ellie was so dang cute. They were $4 for the set. and one of them came with coffee grounds in it (for free! I'm so lucky!) so I ran them through the dishwasher then primed and painted them. My Mom mod podged the cute paper on the lids to cover up the classy fake wood stickers. They hold my sewing stuff like scissors, pins, seam rippers, etc.



This was another office gray metal box of some sort for $3 and it got the requisite coat of primer and paint. This is where my label maker lives along with more sewing stuff.



Here's my my favorite place in the basement. I 'm not kidding you when I say I smile every time I look at it. I seriously love my little space! The only thing that would make it better is a giant window above my desk to let in oodles of sunshine.

4 comments:

Bri!!! said...

I WANT THAT BENCH! You are so dang talented.

Monica said...

You could totally make a bench like that one - all I needed was a screwdriver, scissors, fabric, and a staple gun. If you find an ugly bench, call me and I'll walk you through the process :)

Sterzers said...

Wow those all turned out great! You inspired me to go to the D.I and remake something!

Cathe Holden said...

Yay! Your makeover pieces look fantastic!! That metal cabinet you found is so cool, love the table thing that folds out! Fun colors, ones I love. So kind of you to link to my project. : )